Skip to main content

A green Haiti is a saved Haiti, Part 3

The Greening of Haiti: L'Union Fait La Force?
The solution, in theory, is simple. Reforest Haiti. However, anyone who is seriously considering taking on a problem as vast as this one is needs to ask themselves several questions.

Can Haiti be reforested? If so how? If not, why not? Is it possible that Haiti, the poorest country in the western hemisphere, can become an example of an environmentally sustainable country? Becoming environmental sustainable is the process of making sure current processes of interaction with the environment are pursued with the idea of keeping the environment as naturally pristine as possible.

Can Haiti be “green”? How would that be possible? Where would one have to start? What would the Haitian Government’s involvement be? Can the greening of Haiti be done at the grassroots level? Greening is the practice of restoration, vitality and rejuvenation. By “greening” and “environmentally sustainable”, one needs to consider several things.

It is not enough to reforest Haiti. Systems must be put in place to offer poor Haitians an opportunity to support themselves. How? By educating and enlightening each industry, one at time. Those in field of agriculture need to be taught how to farm in an organic and a sustainable way. Those in the field of civil engineering and architecture must consider and be taught sustainable or green building. Those in the fishing industry must understand the devastating effects of over-fishing. The socio-economical and political issues that have plagued Haiti for decades would have to be addressed.

This, of course, begs the question, can all Haitian people, regardless of class and social status, come together, putting aside whatever cultural, religious, educational differences they have in order to be untied towards a healthier, stronger and truly independent Haiti? Will Haitian people be able to live up to the motto that is on the Haitian flag L'Union Fait La Force (Unity equals strength)? After all a country that depends on it neighbors for the most basic necessities of life, can not truly claim independence. On the contrary, that is the very definition of dependence.


Because of the lack of trees needed to hold soil in place, Haiti’s rural residents are vulnerable to floods. According to Haitian Ecologist Jean-Andre Victor, “When you remove vegetation, the topsoil washes away and the earth left is not capable of absorbing rainfall.” Heavy rains go hand in hand with tropical storms and hurricanes, which create huge amounts of water that cascade down mountains and through valleys, under normal circumstances, if there was sufficient top soil, this water would be absorbed into the earth. However, because the extreme deforestation, the water simply cascades into villages and towns, gathering rocks, gravel, debris and boulders along the way—ultimately taking out the people, animals and property standing in its path.

Once the water levels have fallen, the devastation awaits. Not only is there significant damage to property, there is monumental loss of life. The streets are left littered with the decaying bodies of people and animals in the hot burning sun of Haiti, which of course spreads disease. Creating yet another tragedy that Haitian people need to try and recover from, only with out the resources that it desperately needs in order to adequately recover from the chaos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guess who's back, back again? April's back, tell a friend.

Guess who's back, back again. Shady's back, tell a friend. Guess who's back, guess who's back, Guess who's back. Guess who's back? -Emenim   I know. MIA for 5 months. Where have I been? I’ve been here and there. Lurking. Watching.   Not a whole lot to say. When you don’t have anything worth listening to, in my opinion, you should say nothing.   Clearly not everyone feels that way, based on what I’ve been reading.  Weight Loss:    Laughable really.   A part of the reason why I have opted to say nothing is because I’ve been reading other blogs.   I have felt… dumbfounded   that people who have been struggling with weight loss for years and are disappointed in themselves, don’t   seem to want to DO anything about it.   What is worse, I think, are the followers who are co-signing this behavior.   While I am all for forgiving ones self, there is way too much talk of “forgiveness”.     Listen, I know all about failed weight loss attempts.   I have

Day 2

I wonder what it is about being on a diet that makes you crave things you haven’t eaten in while.   Yesterday I thought about cake, a lot. Mind you I am not a cake eater per se, but there I was thinking about cake. Oh the brain of a compulsive food addict is something to behold.  My day yesterday was pretty good. I stayed on the plan, ate what I was supposed to etc…until last night at around 9 pm I had a spoonful of peanut butter. FUCK!   It’s the weirdest thing. I don’t have any “bad” foods at home. I got rid of everything. But last night, I found myself wandering around the kitchen, opening the freezer, fridge and cabinets just looking for something to nosh on.   I don’t think I was hungry I was…I don’t know…something. But I had the peanut butter. I’m annoyed at myself but I’m back at it today. I’ve had my cheerios , blueberries and milk. My lunch—salad with 3oz of tuna is ready for me. Dinner will be salmon, left over quinoa (I swear that stuff explodes) from last night, a

Day 7 and April's a Fool

Day 7 One of the many things that I am going to work on this year is duh, my weight.  While it was tempting, I opted out of Al ’s plan.  Not sure why exactly, I just did.  I enjoy Alan a lot. There’s a lot of charm in his alleged gruffness. Oh, it’s alleged. I don’t think he’s mean. I think he’s fed up with excuses, his own and everyone else’s.  He’s lost a ton of weight—he’s doing something right. Haters will hate and really should fuck off. I toyed with joining WW…AGAIN.  I haven’t yet…I still might.  Something about joining a plan that I have joined at least 10 times in the past, just seemed so cliché to me.  I also am feeling like I don’t want to pay for the plan. I am in a financial cliff of my own lately, and don’t feel like shelling out $40 bucks a month for a plan that I already know works, because I’ve lost and gained about 100lbs following it.   So what have I been doing these past 7 days?   I have been not just watching what I eat, but actually eating with a