Skip to main content

Man, I feel like a woman!

Oh, oh, oh, go totally crazy, forget I'm a lady
Men's shirts, short skirts
Oh, oh, oh really go wild yeah, doin' it in style
Oh, oh, oh get in the action, feel the attraction
Color my hair, doing my nails
Oh, oh, oh I want to be free, do you what I dar
Man! I feel like a woman! -Shania Twain


I’ll admit it.  I am kind of high maintenance.  Not as high as some, but I do put in some work and though into the way that I look.  The older I get the more I think I need it---little gloss makes me feel womanly.  Let’s face it none of us are 20 anymore.  It takes work to feel as though I am looking my best.  When I’m home it’s not a big deal---I have all my stuff at my disposal.  However, when traveling it can become a bit of a hassle. I’ve got lotions, creams, and hair product and make up. I also am a woman who believes in costume changes and I tend to over pack.  It never fails, I go on vacation, over estimate what I need and end up not wearing/using some of the stuff I take with me.  I won’t lie, there is a part of me that doesn’t care, I like knowing that if I want and need is there if I need it. 

My boyfriend however is NOT high maintenance when it comes to his appearance.  He is bare bones—soap and deodorant sort of guy.  During the week he makes a modicum of effort and wears a fresh shirt and pants everyday, the weekend however he’ll wear the same tee shirt and shorts. I usually have to give him a nudge.  “Sugar—please enough with ratty shorts and tee.  He’ll give in eventually, but it is accompanied with a lot sighing and complaining.

Every year, for the past 20 years, my boyfriend and his family have rented a house in Cape May, NJ for a week.  Last year I went for the first time and he was annoyed at the amount of stuff I took. "Why do you need so much stuff?"  This year, we had an extra person in the car so he was on me about “packing light”. Pack light. Pack light.  Ok fine. I was ruthless with myself. I eliminated a bunch of stuff and it was hard.  Anyway, yours truly packs light and feels [relatively] good about it.  The plan was for me to drive up to his place and we would leave from there. I get to his place and notice the nice pants and shirt waiting to be packed.

Me: (Because I know my man) Why do you have real pants and a nice shirt out?
Him: Because of the dinner. (Looking scared and nervous)
Me: What dinner?
(His daughter looking at us back and forth because she knows what's about happen)
Him: I told you...?
Me: No you did not.
Him: I didn't?
Me: No.
Him: I'll take you shopping.
Me: Yeah you will.


Next time I’m packing what I want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guess who's back, back again? April's back, tell a friend.

Guess who's back, back again. Shady's back, tell a friend. Guess who's back, guess who's back, Guess who's back. Guess who's back? -Emenim   I know. MIA for 5 months. Where have I been? I’ve been here and there. Lurking. Watching.   Not a whole lot to say. When you don’t have anything worth listening to, in my opinion, you should say nothing.   Clearly not everyone feels that way, based on what I’ve been reading.  Weight Loss:    Laughable really.   A part of the reason why I have opted to say nothing is because I’ve been reading other blogs.   I have felt… dumbfounded   that people who have been struggling with weight loss for years and are disappointed in themselves, don’t   seem to want to DO anything about it.   What is worse, I think, are the followers who are co-signing this behavior.   While I am all for forgiving ones self, there is way too much talk of “forgiveness”.     Listen, I know all about failed weight loss attempts.   I have

Day 7 and April's a Fool

Day 7 One of the many things that I am going to work on this year is duh, my weight.  While it was tempting, I opted out of Al ’s plan.  Not sure why exactly, I just did.  I enjoy Alan a lot. There’s a lot of charm in his alleged gruffness. Oh, it’s alleged. I don’t think he’s mean. I think he’s fed up with excuses, his own and everyone else’s.  He’s lost a ton of weight—he’s doing something right. Haters will hate and really should fuck off. I toyed with joining WW…AGAIN.  I haven’t yet…I still might.  Something about joining a plan that I have joined at least 10 times in the past, just seemed so cliché to me.  I also am feeling like I don’t want to pay for the plan. I am in a financial cliff of my own lately, and don’t feel like shelling out $40 bucks a month for a plan that I already know works, because I’ve lost and gained about 100lbs following it.   So what have I been doing these past 7 days?   I have been not just watching what I eat, but actually eating with a

Day 2

I wonder what it is about being on a diet that makes you crave things you haven’t eaten in while.   Yesterday I thought about cake, a lot. Mind you I am not a cake eater per se, but there I was thinking about cake. Oh the brain of a compulsive food addict is something to behold.  My day yesterday was pretty good. I stayed on the plan, ate what I was supposed to etc…until last night at around 9 pm I had a spoonful of peanut butter. FUCK!   It’s the weirdest thing. I don’t have any “bad” foods at home. I got rid of everything. But last night, I found myself wandering around the kitchen, opening the freezer, fridge and cabinets just looking for something to nosh on.   I don’t think I was hungry I was…I don’t know…something. But I had the peanut butter. I’m annoyed at myself but I’m back at it today. I’ve had my cheerios , blueberries and milk. My lunch—salad with 3oz of tuna is ready for me. Dinner will be salmon, left over quinoa (I swear that stuff explodes) from last night, a