Skip to main content

Shame on me...

No song for this post...

Sometimes I do things or say things and as soon as I’ve done them or said them I think about it and regret it instantly.

This weekend, while out to dinner with a friend, I noticed our waitress. She sort of reminded me of the type of guy I like. (She really did) so, thinking I was being cute, I texted a friend of mine—a lesbian—and said I think I have girl crush on my waitress. Ha Ha. Right? Wrong. The next day she, rightfully, lit into me. And I deserve it. I’m not a Lesbian. It was just a joke to me. But it’s not funny… it’s someone’s life. Being Gay or Lesbian, is often a struggle for people. I shouldn’t be making a joke of it. Shame on me. Speaking up for the rights of Gays and Lesbians is a choice for me. Not a choice for them. I ought to know better.

I love NYC. However, NYC is not for everyone. Too many people have a hard time here. Few weeks ago I saw Russell Simmons on the street. He was riding in the back seat of car so exclusive and posh, that I had never seen it before. Few days after that I saw Spike Lee also looking very rich and comfortable in his Escalade. I think the week before I had seen Joan Rivers riding in the back seat of a Mercedes. This is not a disparagement about them. Those were just my most recent rich folk sightings. And it speaks to the vast differences between the very wealthy and very poor. I see a ton of wealthy people every day. I also see regular working stiffs, such as myself, and too often I see homeless people and panhandlers. It’s gotten so that I see them but don’t even SEE them anymore. They are just a part of the fabric of the landscape. They make up a part of the city. Good bad and ugly.

Today, someone sent me a link to a video of a homeless woman bathing herself on a subway car. The shock of it was something. She was really going in, if you know what I mean. And first I was just shocked. And then I was in hysterics. And then I started thinking about it. What kind of world do we live in, where that is even happening? NYC is undoubtedly one of the richest cities in the world. Yet this woman, who is homeless and likely disturbed, but somehow has it in her to wish for cleanliness, is forced to do it in public. Someone emailed it to me, I in turn emailed it to other people. And now, I’m ashamed of myself. It’s NOT funny. It’s the worst type of fucked up there is. I consider myself to be a champion for those people who don’t have a voice. And I did something like that? How old am I? What was I thinking?

I pride myself of being fair and open-minded---all that good stuff. And I think that I am. Just every now and then I do something really dumb and insensitive and it makes me wonder where all my good sense has gone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guess who's back, back again? April's back, tell a friend.

Guess who's back, back again. Shady's back, tell a friend. Guess who's back, guess who's back, Guess who's back. Guess who's back? -Emenim   I know. MIA for 5 months. Where have I been? I’ve been here and there. Lurking. Watching.   Not a whole lot to say. When you don’t have anything worth listening to, in my opinion, you should say nothing.   Clearly not everyone feels that way, based on what I’ve been reading.  Weight Loss:    Laughable really.   A part of the reason why I have opted to say nothing is because I’ve been reading other blogs.   I have felt… dumbfounded   that people who have been struggling with weight loss for years and are disappointed in themselves, don’t   seem to want to DO anything about it.   What is worse, I think, are the followers who are co-signing this behavior.   While I am all for forgiving ones self, there is way too much talk of “forgiveness”.     Listen, I know all about failed weight loss attempts.   I have

Day 7 and April's a Fool

Day 7 One of the many things that I am going to work on this year is duh, my weight.  While it was tempting, I opted out of Al ’s plan.  Not sure why exactly, I just did.  I enjoy Alan a lot. There’s a lot of charm in his alleged gruffness. Oh, it’s alleged. I don’t think he’s mean. I think he’s fed up with excuses, his own and everyone else’s.  He’s lost a ton of weight—he’s doing something right. Haters will hate and really should fuck off. I toyed with joining WW…AGAIN.  I haven’t yet…I still might.  Something about joining a plan that I have joined at least 10 times in the past, just seemed so cliché to me.  I also am feeling like I don’t want to pay for the plan. I am in a financial cliff of my own lately, and don’t feel like shelling out $40 bucks a month for a plan that I already know works, because I’ve lost and gained about 100lbs following it.   So what have I been doing these past 7 days?   I have been not just watching what I eat, but actually eating with a

Day 2

I wonder what it is about being on a diet that makes you crave things you haven’t eaten in while.   Yesterday I thought about cake, a lot. Mind you I am not a cake eater per se, but there I was thinking about cake. Oh the brain of a compulsive food addict is something to behold.  My day yesterday was pretty good. I stayed on the plan, ate what I was supposed to etc…until last night at around 9 pm I had a spoonful of peanut butter. FUCK!   It’s the weirdest thing. I don’t have any “bad” foods at home. I got rid of everything. But last night, I found myself wandering around the kitchen, opening the freezer, fridge and cabinets just looking for something to nosh on.   I don’t think I was hungry I was…I don’t know…something. But I had the peanut butter. I’m annoyed at myself but I’m back at it today. I’ve had my cheerios , blueberries and milk. My lunch—salad with 3oz of tuna is ready for me. Dinner will be salmon, left over quinoa (I swear that stuff explodes) from last night, a