Skip to main content

Fathers be good to your daughters

Fathers be good to your daughters. Daughters will love like you do. Girls become lovers, who turn into mothers. So mothers be good to your daughters too. Oh you see that skin, it's the same she's been standing in. Since the day, she saw him walking away. Now she's left cleaning up the mess he made...On behalf of every man looking out for every girl. You are the god and the weight of the world. So fathers be good to your daughters. Daughters will love like you do. Girls become lovers who turn into mothers. So mothers be good to your daughters too. -John Mayer

Profound words from Sharon Stone? Surprisingly yes. It’s New Year’s Eve and I’m home. Making cookies and watching Extra!, something that I never ever watch. Sharon Stone being interviewed by Mario Lopez and she was talking about her father, about how great he was. She mentioned a lot of things, most of them about the way her father treated her. The kind things he did, the caring things he did. What struck me about what she was saying was: The way you treat your daughter will determine that type of man that she chooses. Ok, I need you stay with me; I promise this will all connect. I watched a documentary, Pimps up, Hos down. (Seriously, stay with me, it will make sense in a second) A pimp is asked the question, “What makes a good ho?” Pimp is thinking and thinking and he finally says, that the best ho’s are girls with low self-esteem. He goes on to say that someone whose father, uncle etc has hurt her in some way, sexual abuse etc. Those are the “best” ho’s. Clearly the lesson in this is exactly what Stone says. The way that the father figure treats girls affect their relationships with men.

Now, I’ve been in and out of therapy since I was in my mid-twenties, and I watch Oprah. This is hardly earth shattering news to me. I know that I have I known this for quite some time. However, this really stuck me. My father, while he was a good provider (I can honestly say that I lacked for nothing) he was just absent. In the picture, yet somehow out of it. I want to be fair, he taught me how to ride a bike. I wouldn’t have learned without him. But other than that? And I’m really trying hard think, he wasn’t the nurturing type. He just wasn’t. He loved me, and still does, but he just couldn’t be bothered. And I can’t say that he really knows me.

I grew up watching my parents interacting with each other. And I on some level I think I knew it was toxic, but when you are kid, you just accept things as they come. They fought a lot. He wasn’t a gentlemen, he didn’t open doors, hold my mother’s hand, or give her gifts.

I have dated piece of shit guys for as long as I could remember. None of them have treated me the way I wanted. And it has been sad. It’s been sad because I have truly loved these men. Each one more than the last. But I have been afraid of being alone, being rejected so I never said anything. I never made demands. And I have suffered because of it.

There are so many things that I want for myself in 2011. Like what?

I want to:
Loose weight. (Serious, major weight);
Get better at seeing projects through;
Not give up on things;
Move out of my parents place
Become a better student.

More than anything, though, I want to learn how to tell people how I want to be treated. I want to command respect.

Wishing all us, happiness, love, respect, good health and success in 2011.

Comments

  1. I have issues because of my dad. To this day. But thankfully, the best lesson I learned from him was I'd rather be alone forever than be with someone who hurt me. I've been in a lot of relationships with crappy men, but they never lasted more than a few weeks. I married the polar opposite of my toxic father. My husband is good.

    And since you like song themes, the best song to describe what I got is Carrie Underwood's "Mama's Song." My mom has actually told me that she's relieved that she doesn't have to worry about me like that anymore because I have W.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Guess who's back, back again? April's back, tell a friend.

Guess who's back, back again. Shady's back, tell a friend. Guess who's back, guess who's back, Guess who's back. Guess who's back? -Emenim   I know. MIA for 5 months. Where have I been? I’ve been here and there. Lurking. Watching.   Not a whole lot to say. When you don’t have anything worth listening to, in my opinion, you should say nothing.   Clearly not everyone feels that way, based on what I’ve been reading.  Weight Loss:    Laughable really.   A part of the reason why I have opted to say nothing is because I’ve been reading other blogs.   I have felt… dumbfounded   that people who have been struggling with weight loss for years and are disappointed in themselves, don’t   seem to want to DO anything about it.   What is worse, I think, are the followers who are co-signing this behavior.   While I am all for forgiving ones self, there is way too much talk of “forgiveness”.     Listen, I know all about failed weight loss attempts.   I have

Bikini Bottom...

For lots of reasons, all of them financial--we decided not to go away this summer. Knowing that we’d have stay local, we opted to get a county beach pass so that we could enjoy what the summer had to offer. I’m glad to say that we’ve been putting good use it, by going to the beach pretty much every weekend.   Every time I go to the beach I take in the women, all shapes and sizes, wearing 2 piece suits. Good for them—I wish I had had that confidence prior to my WLS.   Until this past March hadn’t worn a 2 piece since I was 7. I had wanted one so badly and my favorite aunt bought me one. I remember how excited I was to wear it and how my mom ruined it for me. “You can’t wear that—that’s for small girls, you’re much to big for that!” etc.   Even after I lost the majority of my weight, but pre any plastics, she suggested a burkini ! She was DEAD serious. “You don’t want to be seen… like THAT”.   That stayed with me forever, I can’t tell you

Day 7 and April's a Fool

Day 7 One of the many things that I am going to work on this year is duh, my weight.  While it was tempting, I opted out of Al ’s plan.  Not sure why exactly, I just did.  I enjoy Alan a lot. There’s a lot of charm in his alleged gruffness. Oh, it’s alleged. I don’t think he’s mean. I think he’s fed up with excuses, his own and everyone else’s.  He’s lost a ton of weight—he’s doing something right. Haters will hate and really should fuck off. I toyed with joining WW…AGAIN.  I haven’t yet…I still might.  Something about joining a plan that I have joined at least 10 times in the past, just seemed so cliché to me.  I also am feeling like I don’t want to pay for the plan. I am in a financial cliff of my own lately, and don’t feel like shelling out $40 bucks a month for a plan that I already know works, because I’ve lost and gained about 100lbs following it.   So what have I been doing these past 7 days?   I have been not just watching what I eat, but actually eating with a